Friday, 19 May 2017

New Purchases - AT&T, CSCO, FLO, POW, WFC

Yesterday, I sold my 300 shares in Teva. I've been a shareholder since 2012 and all this company has done for me is loose money. I lost over $3,000 USD. However, back then, the exchange rate was favourable to Canadians. So if I were to convert the $8,000 USD from the sale back into CAD, my loss is about $1,000 CAD. After my experience with Ensco, I get nervous when share prices just keep declining. This company has a lot of debt and very poor leadership.

I also sold my 275 shares in Rogers for a hefty capital gain of 40% in 5 years, or $4,700 CAD. I like the company but I think it is overvalued. It's a telecom with a current dividend yield of 3%. I decided to take the proceeds and reinvest in fairly valued stocks with higher dividend yields. Also, Rogers hasn't increased its dividend in a while.

These sales decrease my yearly dividends by $936.

I used some of the money to buy the following 5 stocks:

- AT&T: 150 shares @ $37.95, +$294 dividend, 5.16% yield
- CSCO: 100 shares @ $31.15, +$116 dividend, 3.72% yield
- FLO: 100 shares @ $18.40, + $64 dividend, 3.48% yield
- POW: 200 shares @ $28.95, +286.80 dividend, 4.95% yield
- WFC: 50 shares @ $$52.10, +$76 dividend, 2.92% yield

These purchases add $772.80 to my yearly dividends.

9 comments:

  1. Good job and some good companies there that you added to. Will makeup a lot of lost dividends in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx. Even in an overpriced stock market there are some good finds. I hope I chose right!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ADY -

    Congratulations. I love the massive CSCO move you made and capturing that when the market punished it momentarily. Also - very slick pick up on AT&T below the $38 threshold, been a while since it's been there : ) Overall - you just added a disgustingly amount of dividend income that would make and is making quite a few of us jealous!

    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I'm just trying to make up for my shitty investment in Teva. Save for WFC, I think all these companies have better leadership and hopefully turn out to be more stable than Teva. And I think the prices I paid were fairly decent in this crazy market.

      Delete
  4. Great buys. I bought 100 shares of CSCO yesterday too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nathan. I follow your blog and we like a lot of the same stocks! I hope Cisco makes us a lot of $$$$. Cheers.

      Delete
  5. All around, I think your replacements are better stocks. I own T and CSCO, and FLO looks really interesting at current levels. I'm not too familiar with POW, and I'm not really into WFC since the account scandal. Good job and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right. I feel very comfortable with these companies. It may take a year or so, but WFC should recover - for some reason, big banks always seem to get out of trouble.

      Delete