Friday, 11 November 2016

Welcome Back UL and High Liner Foods

On November 11th, I bought back into UL. I had purchased 100 shares in Nov 2014 @ $40.07 and sold in July 2016 @ $47.98.

Number of shares purchased
100
Price per share
$39.85
Commission
$9.95
Total cost per share
$39.95
Total cost
$3,994.95
Annual dividend per share
$1.4152
Initial dividend yield
3.54%
Increase in forward 12-month dividends
$141.52


I also bought back into HLF. I has purchased 150 shares in July 2016 @  $12.97 and sold in Sept 2016 @ $26.11.

Number of shares purchased
200
Price per share
$19.90
Commission
$9.95
Total cost per share
$19.95
Total cost
$3,989.95
Annual dividend per share
$0.56
Initial dividend yield
2.81%
Increase in forward 12-month dividends
$112


It would seem like we are seeing sector rotation from consumer staples, REITs and Utilities into financials, industrials and maybe pharma. After the run up in CSX and NSC, I wonder if I should sell them and buy some undervalued/fairly valued stocks.

4 comments:

  1. ADY,

    Great buys especially UL. I too am watching the rotation into financials and am seriously considering swapping GS (up 45% in the last few months) for PM or VZ. That would give me an instant $100 a year boost in income. I plan on keeping WFC and adding to my REITs on further weakness.

    MDP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're thinking along the same lines. Sometimes I wonder if an actively managed portfolio would make me more money. Buy low, sell high. Repeat.

      I'm using average dividend yield to "know" when a stock is underpriced; I could also use it to indicate an overpriced stock.

      Delete
  2. Those look solid. I contemplated HLF back in the Spring around $15, but did not have idle cash or anything i wanted to sell. I woud like to add to my UL position, but would prefer to see a bit of an upward push in the CDN dollar before I do, so will wait a bit. The other option is to sell a portion of one of my US winners (maybe Microsoft or Harris) but not a strategy I like to employ. I prefer to let the winners run unless they start to comprise an oversized portion of my portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really lucked out with HLF. Hopefully the company will continue to do well. They just increased the dividend another 7.7% and quarterly results were pretty good.

      I too am not trading CAD to USD at this time. I re-bought UL with the same USD I kept from the earlier sell.

      Delete