Friday, 13 November 2015

New Purchase - HCP and WMT

On Nov 9, I added to my position in HCP.

Number of shares purchased
30
Price per share
$33.40
Commission
$9.95
Total cost per share
$33.75
Total cost
$1,012.55
Annual dividend per share
$2.26
Initial dividend yield
6.70%
Increase in forward 12-month dividends
$67.80


On Nov 13, I initiated a position in Walmart.

Number of shares purchased
50
Price per share
$56.40
Commission
$9.95
Total cost per share
$56.60
Total cost
$2,829.95
Annual dividend per share
$1.96
Initial dividend yield
3.46%
Increase in forward 12-month dividends
$98.00

Walmart's dividend growth is not very attractive, but the share price sure is.

My dividend income is now $9,491 per year.

On another note, I'm not doing so well with my put options. My timing on BBL, BTE and NOV really really sucked. On the bright side, it's called EXPERIENCE.

8 comments:

  1. ADD,

    WHOA! Great points to enter in at, no doubt - love HCP price right now, as well as like seeing WMT below $58. Great addition to your overall income, keep it up!

    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe HCP is below $33. All because of a possible 0.25% increase in interest rates. You gotta love the foolishness of the masses.

      I liked your Nov 9 HCP piece on seeking alpha. Keep up the good work.

      Delete
  2. Nice buy ADY. We own both companies and both are considered long term holds. We like the current prices, especially for a long term hold. Even taking the out the attractive price, both have great yields!

    Keep up the momentum. Best wishes and continued success on your journey!! AFFJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see that you also took advantage of weak stock prices. With WMT down 38% from its 52 week high, this market is over the top! It just doesn't make sense to me. And I saw an article yesterday claiming WMT shares could go to $25! Nuclear warfare is just around the corner.

      Thanks for the encouragment and to your continued success as well.

      Delete
  3. Nice purchases, Average Dividend Yield! Keep up the good work!

    Last week, I opened a new position in HCP (I already own WMT). Happy to join you and other DGI's as a fellow shareholder. It looks like a great REIT with a solid yield and steller dividend payment and growth track record. I didn't get in quite as low as you did -- happy nevertheless with my 6.65% yield on cost!

    Cheers
    FerdiS, DivGro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many US REITs are attractivly priced these days. I wonder if they will sink even more once interest rates increase. The price drop seems over done to me but who knows. I thought HCP was a very good deal around $38!

      As for WMT, I'll be keeping a close eye on their earnings report tomorrow. Should the share price drop to the high $40's, I may sell a portion of my BAX and/or BXLT to buy WMT.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I am with you on WMT. I am long the company as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At these prices, I think it's a "safe" bet. One can just hope the dividend growth picks up.

      Delete