Monday, 5 November 2012

My Next Buy


I started buying stocks in October 2008. This coincided with the sale of an income property I had purchased in 2003. I almost sold it in January 2008; thank god I didn’t because I would have certainly bought stocks at their all time highs.

Initially, I was buying dividend stocks like CML Healthcare and BPO Properties. It wasn’t too long after I made my first purchases that I stumbled upon the dividend growth strategy.

Along the way, I missed out on great opportunities because I had no free cash. One that comes to mind is CNR-T (or CNI-N) when it hit $38-$39CAN in 2009. To this day, I’m still looking to add a railroad to my holdings.

Although I manage to do it, keeping so much cash on the sidelines is hard. I’m always tempted to buy, buy, buy. To avoid buying too soon, I keep a list of stocks with “strike” prices. An example of what’s on my list:

Add to existing positions:

Ticker
Strike Price
DELL
9.00
INTC
19.50
KRFT
42.50
LNF
10.50
VOD
26.30

Initiate new positions:

Ticker
Strike Price
BDX
70 - 74
CSX
18.50
NSC
58.00

I currently have orders on BDX and DELL that expire tomorrow. Of course, I’m always on the lookout for new opportunities.

I hope BDX has poor results this week. I’d love to pick some up for $70. Sorry to those that hold the stock :)



No comments:

Post a Comment